Wednesday 8 March 2017

Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake


Dark chocolate cake with raspberries


We are all about the birthday vibes at Cupcakes and Couscous HQ at the moment. If you read last week's post you might remember that we celebrated my daughter's 5th birthday, and this week my little blog... drum roll... turns four!



Flourless dark chocolate cake.

Flourless cake.


I still remember my very first recipe post. I must have read and re-read it at least one hundred times before tentatively pressing that intimidating publish button. That first step was a rather scary one but it started me on a path that (without sounding totally cheesy) I never dreamed possible. Yes, I positively cringe when I go through some of my old food photographs but looking back allows me to see how my posts have evolved over time. I am hugely grateful to my readers and everyone who takes the time to connect with me here and on my social media platforms - it means the world to me. Not to mention the incredibly talented local foodie community who continue to encourage and inspire me.


Flourless chocolate cake with raspberries

Chocolate cake with raspberries.


In honour of this milestone I simply had to put together a cake post, right? This is not your typical birthday cake but something between a cake and dessert. Dark, rich and chocolatey, this chocolate cake is delicious with some fresh raspberries and even more heavenly with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. 

So cheers to another year, I am looking forward to the next one! 


_________________________


FLOURLESS DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE


Serves 6-8


Gluten free chocolate cake with raspberries.


200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
100g butter
2 large eggs
60g castor sugar
150g ground almonds
cocoa for dusting
fresh raspberries for decorating


Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin (preferably springform). 

Step 2.) Break the dark chocolate into pieces and place in a small saucepan with the butter. Stir over a low heat until melted and combined. Set aside. 

Step 3.) Place the eggs and castor sugar in a bowl. Use an electric beater to whisk until thick and pale. Add the chocolate mixture and almonds and gently fold in. 

Step 4.) Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin. 

Step 5.) Dust the cake with cocoa and top with fresh raspberries just before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on all that you've achieved- you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much Jen, thank you!! :)

      Delete
  2. Apologies for missing out on the celebrations, we've been hectic at the Guesthouse, 10 more tourists arrived breakfast & dinners for the next week. Also I'm getting my Cuppa-for-Canca together so have been really busy! Belated Birthday Wishes to both yout daughter (albeit I think u saw her cake on Twitter - and your cake does look especially fabulous!) as well as your blog! That's just fabulous news! Happy fourth birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa, glad to hear that the guest house is busy! Good luck and thank you for your ongoing support. :)

      Delete